Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tortured Thoughts Of A Baseball Mom...

I love watching him play.
He looks so cute in his little baseball pants, team jersey and hat, and his toothy grin. But besides his adorableness, I mostly love how he LOVES THIS GAME.
He wants to get to practices early. He wants to stay late and watch other games. If he could spend every evening at the baseball field, he would. He is SUCH a baseball player.
This game makes him happy, which in turn makes ME happy.
That said, watching your son play baseball is a double edged sword. Pure joy and excitement when he makes a play, but gut wrenching tension when he is "the one" everyone is looking at to come through. The crowd goes wild when he does well, and is equally loud in their "awwww's" when he doesn't.
That's my baby out there, and I just want him to do well, because that makes him happy and proud of himself. And baseball seems so HARD!! To be able to hit, throw, bunt, catch, run, pitch, dive through the air to catch the ball and know just where to quickly throw it when you do, make double plays, cover home...it never ends!!
I know it is the same for every other player on the field, but when it is Tigers player #11, my stomach is truly in knots...and the following is a window into my thoughts:
"Please hit it...please hit it....please hit it..."
"Please catch it...please catch it...please catch it..."
"Please throw a strike...please throw a strike...
please throw a strike..."
...and we have another game tomorrow night.
Wish me luck. :)

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

OH, Good Luck, Jen ( and Jordan). What you wrote reminds me so much of watching my cousin Peter play, except it was football, rather than baseball! I sometimes watched my Aunt Gwen's facial expressions, more than the actual game. I knew that my cousin would be ok, it was my aunt that I was worried about! She probably felt those same emotions, and even uttered many of those same thoughts, you have shared on your blog! Jordan is a good player, and he seems to have a GENUINE LOVE for the game, that's what matters most!!! I know I am telling you anything new. Just thought I'd share, cuz it evoked memories!

P.S. - Peter wore #11 football jersey from the time Pop Warner to his Yale playing days!

Kelly Hutcheson said...

They say baseball is a team sport, but I've always thought it was an individual sport!! It's like watching him play tennis and he's the only one out there!! You're such an amazing mom and have such a way to articulate the roller coaster of emotions that parenthood brings!!

Kelly Hutcheson said...

PS David just read this and said "he has great form" when he saw his pitching pictures!!

Four posts in one day!? I looooooove it! Keep em' coming! You could tell a story about stubbing your toe and make it heartwarming and interesting!!

Heidi said...

Oh my, what great reading this has been. I am all caught up for right now. You are such a good writer. Your words are so meaningful...ditto on what Kelly said about making a stubbed toe sound heartwarming. J and K are growing up with one of the best mommies I know.
xo

Kelle said...

I've been trying to comment on these posts for the past two days, but my computer has been completely biffed and would disconnect in the middle of it every time! Waaah! LOVE these...love how much you love them, love how much you capture them (those baseball pics are amazing!), love how much you put your heart into words. I love having your example of motherhood in my life...not to mention your friendship! 143~ those kiddies are so lucky to have you as a mommy!