Thursday, October 9, 2008

Pausing To Remember

I have always wanted to visit Washington, D.C. There are so many historical landmarks that I have read about, seen in pictures...and as a citizen, I just want to stand next to them, see in them in person, and just share the same space.

I know I will go someday. And I know I will bring my kids.

This I know. Someday.

Until then...the Traveling Wall came to Naples. What an amazing organization this is. The Wall is a replica of the Vietnam Memorial Wall that travels all over the country, to share the memories with people who can't see it in person. It is a huge undertaking, requiring hundreds of hours of preparation, preservation, set up, and break down. Volunteers guard this beautiful memorial around the clock, 24 hours a day.

Sunday was the last day The Wall would be in our town. Jamie and I wanted to bring the kids there... to give them a taste of history, sacrifice, devotion to country, patriotism...all that stuff.

Sunday was very rainy. Ruh-roh.

This was the last place Jordan, Katie, and Blane (cousin who just slept over) wanted to go on a rainy Sunday afternoon. They wanted to go to the mall. To the movies. Or just stay home, make popcorn, and play video games.

There was a bit of complaining in the car. Sample comments included:

"It's so rainy."

"We don't even have an umbrella."

"Oh wait, we have one umbrella, but we can't all use it."

"I call the umbrella."

"NO...I called it first."

"Do they have rides there?"

"Stop kicking me!"

"What...it's just...like, a WALL?"

"I don't get it."

"Can we just go HOME?"


But we pressed on. Forced them get out of the car.

They didn't like it...........and they didn't GET it.

Until they SAW it.

Once standing in front of this immense structure...as we gazed at name...after name...after name...after name.......the only words that followed from the mouths of our babes were loaded with big questions, conversations about the past, and pockets of deep silence...as it all sank in.

For all of us.





































Thank you.

7 comments:

Kelly Hutcheson said...

Chills! All over chills! I love the comments in the car and then fast forward to the pictures!!

I'm been craving a post from you more than I crave ice cream. That's saying a lot!

Keep posting! You have a gift!! Share it!!

I love you!

Kelle said...

Love the part where it switched...
"Until they SAW it."

Laughing hard at Jordan's t-shirt "For His Glory"...and the "Are there rides there?"

Finally...a post. And a good one. Love you.

Krista said...

i'm with kelle...finally a post! made me all teary eyed, didn't expect that...wth?

thanks for the info, i'm going to see if it's ever coming near us....you know the hot bed of culture and happenings of ARKANSAS. ;)

donna said...

SPEECHLESS!!! and for me that's saying something!

Steph C said...

Until the saw it! isn't that the truth for us all! I wish I would have known about it I would have loved to go too:) They will remember it forever.

Heidi said...

TOTAL CHILLS...two waves worth...when i saw Katie's little hand on that huge wall filled with names of people that gave their lives.

Wow...and Jordan's t-shirt, and the last pic of the boots and rifle and flag...chills again.

LOVE the way you express yourself on this blog...your words rock my world!!!!!
XOXO

Samantha said...

Wow Jen. I wish I could've seen it. You captured the emotion of it perfectly. I love the one where Katie is reaching out, touching the wall!! I also love that your kids are experiencing these opportunities. We can teach them these lessons in text books but nothing is as meaningful as the real thing!!