Tuesday, August 4, 2009

4th of July...in August

Yes, I am officially posting this exactly one month late.

July 4th, 2009......posted on August 4th, 2009.

And I didn't realize that until about 35 seconds ago.

Must be "meant to be". :)

This year, Independence Day celebrations lasted two days...on the 3rd, our family joined Jordan's baseball team and their families for a Miracle baseball game...hot dogs, friends, beer, popcorn, and baseball...followed by a spectacular fireworks show over right field.

I loved it.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Then the next day...we followed the same family July 4th tradition...fireworks at the Naples Pier. It's always quite the undertaking to get things going...and sometimes, I must admit, I think "hmmmm...maybe it's too much trouble...we could skip it this year, it wouldn't kill us".

But then I look at my teen and pre-teen babies (yes, they will always be my babies, until I take my last breath) and I sadly realize that the clock is ticking on the number of years we have left to make this tradition a reality.

And that reality is enough to get our butts out of the house.

We scramble to fill coolers, locate bug spray, pile beach chairs into the back of the car, grab footballs and frisbees, stuff a charged battery in the camera, load everyone in the car, and head downtown to search for a parking space. We scan front yards and empty lots for a stretch of grass or concrete that will fit our car without getting towed or ticketed. Cell phones ring from family, with up-to-the-minute status reports on who has scored a space, with hopefully more room to spare.

I never think we are all going to find spaces in the same area...but we always do. :)

This year was especially wonderful, as Mom, Bob, and the Taylor family made the trip over to Naples to join us. Yahoo!

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Grace loves her Mama...

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


I loooove how Lily is looking at Katie here...examining her so intently...with her pudgy little fists perched firmly in her lap...priceless!
Photobucket


So nice to have all the families together on one beach...memories made...check.
Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Jordan was trying desperately to light some fireworks in the wind, to no avail.
Aunt Molly offered to help, and together they made it happen.
Despite the grainy quality, this is one of my favorite shots of the night...

Photobucket


Love these people, and feeling ever-so-grateful to have them in my life...

Photobucket

7 comments:

Kelle said...

yay! a new post...beautiful pictures! candlelight/sparkler/any-flickering-glow pics are always my fave. as are lots of family members snuggled up together pics. picture wall worthy for sure!

Kelly Hutcheson said...

There's nothing more love cup feeling than being with family who keep pouring the love in everytime without fail!!

Thanks for taking over the HUGE responsibility of taking pictures on this special holiday while my camera was on the fritz! Even when it was on the cooler!! Lily's future self thanks you too!

I didn't know you were going to use those back shots of me and not photoshop out my clear hair clip pinning back my necklace! LOL! Look closely and you can see i have a clear hair clip holding my necklace in place so it's more like a choker necklace and not a dangler! LOL

I didn't notice Lily's clenched fists on her lap - oh my cute!!

Love the kissing ones of J&K! Both kids should go into modeling stat!

Great family picture! Glad it only took 1 (hundred) shots!

Feel like I'm so excited you posted I wanna keep commenting!

Where are the pictures from the kicka** pool party/bbq?

Is Lily's bow bigger than her head?

Love the describing getting down to the beach!

hhmmm, what else!? OH I KNOW!?? (furrowing eyebrows) You contemplate skipping the fireworks at the pier with the family? (stopping in tracks, tires screeching, music stops, everyone looking around, then at u) Like that'd ever happen! We'd come and steal your kids at the very least and photoshop your lazy a** in the pictures later!! lol.

Ok, that's all I have for now. Great times, great people, great food (left at home as I ate my arm) and most of all great memories!! xoxo

Kelly Hutcheson said...

Holy shiv, that's looks like a lot in the comments section! COOL!

DGMommy said...

I have been waiting (tapping foot) for a new post! Just kidding, I don't even have a blog so I can't complain:)

The pictures are OUTSTANDING! You really have a knack for this photography stuff.

I have to second what Kelly said about contemplating not coming. WHAT??? We drive all the way over there to the other coast of Florida wanting to see our sister, aunt, sister-in law, cousins and you think about not coming??. . .we would pull you by your earlobes and drag you out the door and you would enjoy us whether you like it or not:) LOL! Ha Ha, I am trying to be as dramatic as Kelly, but you get my point:) We love you and your family!!!

Great post, keep 'em coming!

Love yous!!
Molly

donna said...

HOLY BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!!! Missed these kiddos! Your family is great and I am thankful to always be included in hanging w/ you guys... and the shot of "kissy cheeks" PRICELESSS!!!!!!!! So glad you updated!

Heidi said...

great pics. great memory making. love stories. totally understand on "is it worth it?" i think the same thing, and feel so good when we do it. the sand in the car is so totally worth it!!!

Grandpa said...

What an enjoyable 4th of July . . . a great evening was had my all . . . and seeing my daughters and their hubbies focusing on seeing that their children were having fun was comforting for me . . . they may not think so . . . but take it from me . . . “our children do grow up fast!”

Love Ya
Dad & Grandpa!
*********************