Sunday, August 3, 2008

Comfort


This place holds great meaning for me...

it's where I brought my newborn babies to imprint their painted feet on a plate for Father's Day...
where I made presents for my children's special teachers...
where my kids painted numerous masterpieces over the years, that are now displayed throughout our home....
where we celebrated birthdays, including the year Jordan turned six...
where I joined many Girl's Nights with a bottle of wine under my arm, and bonded with friends...
and the place where I froze the size of Jordan and Katie's childhood handprints into a glazed print. As I look at those plates from across the room right now, I know this...if those plates ever broke, my heart would break, too.

We hadn't been there in a couple of years, and it has changed ownership, so I wondered if it would still be the same...
Would it still be warm and inviting?
Would the new owner still greet you with a smile, eager to help you be your most creative self?
Would each table be covered in thick, white paper, and hold water in handpainted bowls and brushes in quirky mugs?
Would each chair be different, handpainted in colorful mismatched patterns?
Would the room be filled with soothing, classical music and warm, natural sunlight?

Would the overall mood of the place still firmly state: "You are creative...anything goes...please be yourself and just...PAINT" ?

Yes...Yes...YES.

It's still the same wonderful place it has always been.

Happy sigh. :)

This was oh...so...PEACEFUL.































Katie and Savannah were fascinated by the purple goop they use to coat every piece before it goes into the kiln...and so was I. :)





Future masterpieces, pre-purple goop...we pick them up Tuesday. :)

4 comments:

Kelly Hutcheson said...

Oh, I love these! Wish I would've brought Lily and met you there! What memories! You explained that place PERFECTLY!!

Are you running a summer camp just before you go back to school? Amazing!!

Heidi said...

I LOVE these pics. They make you feel like you are in that 'safe and creative' space...so fun and relaxing.

I love how document these little things that really are big and mean so much, especially to the girls who look like they had an awesome time together. I Love good friends.

Kelle said...

hey counselor...now that camp's over, i realized i SO forgot to sign your camp yearbook...so here goes:
camp was awesome...you're such a good counselor and are so good with the kids. thanks for sharing your cabin with the girls.ttfn...lylas...bff.
me

Carin said...

you captured the feeling perfectly with your words and pictures! wish I could have been there with you guys!