Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Girl Time


Had a seriously fun girl night. The kind where you laugh 'til you pee your pants, tell and listen to really hilarious stories, and the one-liners are flying all night.

I SO needed a girls night. Home has been hectic as we settled back into daily routines. And I must say...laundry after vacation seriously sucks ass.
I already have a hate-hate relationship with laundry (this subject deserves its own post, hmmm...), but laundry, on top of all the other unpacking involved, bites it.

Add this to two seriously BORED kids who got WAY too used to having a lake in their backyard, and are now adjusting to the "I-have-nothing-to-do-now-that-school-is-out-even-though-I-could-NOT-wait-for-summer-to-arrive" blues.

Anyway, back to girls night. SO fun.

We went to see "Sex In The City"...........
Original idea, I realize.

Even though it does NOT do the movie justice, watch this:




I have to say... this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. This statement may make me sound shallow, but who cares.
I laughed, I cried hard...I even laughed whilst crying.
It had it ALL...highs, lows, humor, sadness, drama, beautifully shot "eye candy" scenes, and girl-bonding "women issues"...marriage, divorce, romance, pregnancy, children, parenting, sex, affairs, friendships, counseling, trust, betrayal, arguments, fashion, body issues.........and most importantly, female friendships.

Friendships where they don't care what you look like, how you dress, what car you drive, how your house looks, what parenting decisions you make, how happy or imperfect your life is...they JUST LOVE YOU.
Good and bad. Pretty and ugly. No judgements. And forgiveness, understanding, nurturing, and comfort are just a conversation away.

I love women friends like this. I think they are rare. I have some in my life, and I am so grateful. I wish I had more.
Sometimes a friend seems like they are, but then they are not. That makes me sad and it hurts. But I love the ones I am lucky enough to have in my life.

So, if you haven't seen this movie already, please do. I LOVED it, and I was not even a huge SATC fan. (just learned recently that this is an actual acronym for the show)
I'm not particularly into high fashion, New York, designer shoes, or being "fabulous".
Payless Shoes is my shoe Nirvana. ("You could pay more...but why?")

But, I AM into girlfriends, laughter, fun, support, honesty, trust, and having bonds with really incredible women who help me to be the best version of myself. Where I feel SAFE. Women who give me strength. This movie is a great example of all of the above.

And I highly recommend sneaking Cosmopolitans in plastic cups into the movie theater.

Just sayin'. :)

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

:o) Sounds FUN! Girls' Night(s) ROCK!

Kelly Hutcheson said...

I felt so filled up at the end of the night. Filled with love, happiness, and inspiration!! It's a beautiful thing! xoxo times a million

Krista said...

wasn't it the best?!
although i've got to say the make-up sex at the end between miranda and steve is still etched in my brain....seriously.....whoa.
glad i'm not the only one who cried! ahahaha, i felt kind of dumb...like wait a minute this is SATC, why are you crying?!
i couldn't care less about the fashion...i don't get most of it... seriously wtf?!...a bird in your hair?! but i love the relationships between those women! so glad you had fun.....

Heidi said...

This post said it all...perfectly put Jenn! Ditto on what Kelly said...'My cup runneth over that night." Is that what that quote is...haha. Well, that is my quote. I LOVE making up quotes now.

Perfect peeps to spend such an amazing event with...to me, that was an event. Worthy of high heels, smuggled cosmos, too tight jeans... maybe a bird hat and waxed bikini areas...just sayin. Love you, miss you, want to see that movie again, won't be the same without my peeps:)

Woah-this is a long comment: I LOVE, LOVE the Dr.Suess quote. I totally agree!

Kelle said...

Oh reading this makes me wanna see the movie again RIGHT NOW. Love it, loved being with you... Wanna go and repeat that night so bad! Love you!