Friday, June 13, 2008

I'm not superstitious, BUT...



I have never believed in superstitions.

I merrily skip under ladders. If I spill salt, I just clean it up. I laugh at my sister when she doesn't let me say that "certain number" three times in a row.

(SIX...sorry, Kel, it had to be done.)

Broken mirrors don't bother me. I scoff at black cats crossing my path...it's just a cute kitty to me. And if I get one of those emails that say "Forward this to 10 of your closest friends, or you will have seven years of bad luck/all your dreams will come true", I instantly delete it in disgust, even if it is about God. I don't believe God would punish me because I chose not to clog the internet with mass emails. He knows I believe in Him.



That said...bad things happened today.


And it is Friday the 13th.


WHAT THE!!!!


The Evidence:

1) My sister's hubby David woke up in EXCRUCIATING PAIN. Doubled over. Fetal position. Vomiting from pain. Emergency room. Battery of tests. SCARY. Turns out he has kidney stones. He is still in incredible pain as I type this.


2) I watched Baby Lily while they were at the hospital. This was the BEST part of my day. That child is angelic. God, I love her. I got to hold her and smell her sweet head and breathe in her baby breath. BABY HEAVEN.

The only thing unlucky about this was that she was a little fussy, and she is NEVER fussy. EVER!! She is one of those even-keeled, calm babies that smiles constantly, and can be soothed in an instant. NOT like her to fuss. I believe babies sense things. She must be superstitious like her mother. I also think she knew how her Daddy was hurting. Or maybe she was just tired and I don't have her favorite swing at my house. Either way, Lily was sad, and that is unlucky to me. :(


3) 2 hours later...on the way home from Jordan's golf tournament...Jamie, the kids and I were stopped at a red light.

BAM!!!!!

We got rear-ended. HARD. Like, I felt my neck snap back and forth. What a shocker. Katie crying. Police lights. It was a three-car collision, and the driver that caused it was a little old man. He looked SO scared. He gets out of his car and uses his WALKER and OXYGEN TANK. My heart ached to look at him. That poor man. I didn't even care about my car at this point, I just couldn't take my eyes off his confused little face. That, and the college kid whose Trans-Am was sandwiched between our two cars. The police said the old man was driving with a suspended license, which meant he probably had to go to jail. I'm still thinking about him tonight, wondering where he is right now, does he have family...sigh. I hope he is ok, and I also hopes that he never drives again and has a really nice wife that will bring him to the places he wants to go.


It was my kids' first car accident. Their little eyes were SO huge, taking it all in...police lights, twisted metal, cursing, exchanging of license and registration, stopped traffic, onlooker drivers slowing to gawk at us...everything a car accident involves. I did my best to stay calm and let them know everything would be ok...but I know they are changed, just a little bit, forever. Heavy sigh.


Then again, as they grow up, they will always be able to say "My first car accident happened on Friday the 13th". So I guess that's kinda cool.


I just wonder how they will feel about ladders and black cats. :)

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh...so sorry to hear about your car accident! Glad you and the kids were ok. Sad thinking about that old man. HAPPY that you got to spend time w/lovely Lily Pie! She must have realized something was up w/her daddy! So sorry to hear about David's gall stones...I can TOTALLY empathize with him, as I had my gall bladder surgery in Jan '08. I had LOADS of stones....and my gb was infected, so it had to come out.

Kelly Hutcheson said...

WOW! And you didn't even mention Tim Russert dying too! It was one of those days that I wanted to crawl under my bed and not come out until the day was over.

Update: David had a kidney stone and passed it around 6pm...he felt a lot relief then, but just a little weak from not being able to eat or drink all day from the pain. He was pretty much back to normal before he went to bed and slept like a LOG!!
Also, Lily passed out in the car after I picked her up; she was overtired due to scooping her out of her bed to take D to the ER at 7am. It was not anything Aunt Jennifer did or didn't do. Just exhaustion. She didn't make a peep the rest of the day after her hard earned nap! She told me "in my secret" that she can't wait to hang out with you again VERY soon!! I can't either! I love you enjoying and loving on her!!

Heidi said...

Holy crap...soooo happy you are all safe! That had to be scary. I am like you, I would have been haunted by the old man's confused face all night...you are to sweet to think of him and wonder if he has a wife to help him. You have such a kind heart:)

Kelle said...

Never gunna believe it but "my" Katie got horrible side pain that night too! Went to ER next day and has diverticulosis and has to get a coloscopy next month! WTF????!!!