Friday, July 11, 2008

Perseverance

So proud of my boy today. He played in a golf tournament and came in second place. After countless tournaments in which he watched his peers hit better, score lower, and accept their trophies in the midst of cheers and applause, Jordan finally had his turn today.

But my pride for him is not simply rooted in the fact that he finally placed. Is he happy and proud of himself? YES. Does it make me happy for him? YES. Did I give him a big hug as tears formed in my eyes? Hell to the YES! (cursing effect for Donna)

My pride for Jordan swelled after I learned that he overcame a VERY rough first hole (5 putt) at the beginning of the tournament. In the past, this turn of events has caused occasional bad moods, negative self talk, crossed arms, and frustrating conversations with Jamie as they traveled in the golf cart to "find his ball". Over time, these behaviors have gradually faded... and he has learned patience, maturity, and true golf ettiquette.
So today, instead of getting discouraged, upset, or just giving up...my sweet boy recorded his huge number, regrouped his thoughts, slung his golf bag over his shoulder, and trudged on to hole number two in this blazing summer heat. And he didn't look back.

And THAT'S why I'm proud. :)
How can I love a kid THIS MUCH...and it keeps getting better. :)

4 comments:

donna said...

that is awsome! Congrats to Jordan! Someday maybe he'll be that "guy from Naples" playing in some major tournament w/ the BIG guys! I love reading your stuff Jen-- your such a proud mama!!

Kelly Hutcheson said...

WOW!! He's conqured the hardest part of golf...the mental game!! So proud of him! I loved hearing his voice when he called yesterday with the good news. I could see his shy smile coming through the phone!! Love him!!

Carin said...

Yay, Jordan! That is awesome! love the scrapbook page...he looks so old in his golf gear!

Kelle said...

That is so precious! I was with Kelly when he called, and it was so sweet to listen! He was so proud of himself. He looks so old...like Jamie! xoxo