Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Rainy Spa Day

You know how there are days when you just want to decompress, and get away from it all? My Katie felt that way today. She is going through some neighborhood friendship (aka "mean girl") issues, and was really sad this afternoon.

So, after she burst into the house in tears for the third time in 24 hours, I resisted the urge to march down the street and give said mean girl my "gentle but firm" talk about how girls should treat their so-called best friends the same, no matter WHO is standing next to you at any given moment speech (and believe me, I envisioned the entire thing, and had actually planned my words for hours prior). Doing this would have made me feel SO SO good and all protective, but eventually the speech would have accomplished nothing except Kate learning the life lesson, "Hey, just go crying to Mom, and she works it all out for me".


Yikes. Not so much.


So instead, I asked her to go for a drive with me in this dreadfully rainy weather.
"Where will we go?" she asked. "Oh, shopping and browsing for cool stuff, I don't know, let's just go somewhere".
She wasn't that into it. She was all defeated. Pouty face, still wiping tears away...but I made her go anyway. :)
The drive was pretty quiet. I could tell: a) she didn't see much point to this, and b) she was still thinking about her friend who hurt her feelings. She needed a little more time, so I tried to just say nothing.
So we went to Marshall's...just like Carin. (I mean, the store is, after all, the holy grail of all that is female.) We browsed aisles and smelled candles. Kate found some cute tank tops for dance camp. I found a cool wooden salad bowl on clearance. Then a darling stationery set with the letter "K" for her. We picked up odd items in the clearance aisle and said "wow, this is only TWO bucks". Listened to the rain pouring outside and forgot all about mean girls!!

Next stop...Sally Beauty Supply. I wanted to get some new mascara, and she found a 99 cent lip gloss.
Then she saw this...
and said... "Mom, someday I wanna do facials like they do in a real spa."

So...we did.

And...we have pictures. Brace yourself.


Katie before:





Katie after:





Katie applying mask to Mom:
(and I was giggling the entire time because: a) the mask was SO cold.... and b) I couldn't stop laughing at the sight of her green face and pink lips) All I heard was "Mom, hold STILL"...and I could NOT stop laughing at the seriousness of that green face...





Mother and daughter having a REALLY good time, but we can't smile because our green masks will crack and start to itch:

8 comments:

Kelly Hutcheson said...

I want the last one blown up 8x10 and put on our picture wall!! You taught her so many life lessons today and she's a better person for it! And you're a better mom. Didn't think that was possible! Love u!!

donna said...

o.k (tears rolling down my face) I will so refer back to this entry! My heart hurt for her! I can't stand the mean girls! But you, you mama handled it w/ such grace and a huge heart! I needeed this! You have once again inspired me!

Rayna said...

Ugh, my heart hurts for her. This brought me back to the days when I dealt with the mean girls. Poor thing, but what a wonderful mom you are to spend such a wonderful day with her.

Carin said...

ah...the mean girls. they build character :o)

love that you did this. I always leave your blog so inspired.

the last picture of you guys trying not to smile so you don't itch makes me laugh.

love you

Heidi said...

why am i tearing up so much today...with every line i read of this post i got more and more chills. U know the kind that comes in swells. It kind of hurts until it stops. That was a 6 or 7 'sweller.'

Maybe it was your protective words for Katie. Such a sweet and loving little girl who is growing up, but FORCED to grow in a world where she will have to 'deal' with the mean girls for a long time to come.

I know you did the right thing by not sayng anything to the m.g., but I kind of wish i had read that you marched down there and let them have it...:) not really, but it felt good to think about it.

I love that you took her for a drive down the street...maybe not knowing where to go, but Marshalls and Sally's beckoning you to go in. (Ordinary Miracle was playing too...that didnt help the swells:)

I love the mommy you are. I know Peyton and I will go down this same road one day soon:)

Miss you. I love the two of you green-faced and happy! Wall worthy, yes!

Krista said...

mean girls....ugh. the thing that sucks about that.....there's always mean girls.

i read this, then went and helped my youngest son build a Rodan (from godzilla) model.....ah, to have a girl....;)

have a great week!

Kelle said...

besides the way my heart stung with this...i have to say... YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'RE SEVENTEEN in that picture with the mask. I SWEAR!!! You cut your senior pic and photoshopped it on your body in this!!! WTF???!!!!

Kelle said...

p.s. i think she needs some savannah time... cuz they need each other...two nice girls tired of the mean girls. so, next week...there's gunna be a lot of sleepovers. and bagels...with butter AND cream cheese.