Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Tooth Tales

We had an orthodontic consultation for Jordan the other day. Yes, he needs braces, and yes, it will cost a lot. Oh well. Part of parenthood.

Two stories about getting braces…one funny, the other…well, I don’t know, you decide.

1) Funny Story:
When the issue of cost came up, Jordan seemed concerned. Like we might just lose our entire net worth over straightening his teeth. It was so cute. As in his way, he stewed about this for a day or two. Then, as we were walking into Wal-Mart one day, he asked,
“Mom, are braces expensive?”

Me: “They can be”

J: “Like how much, over a thousand?”

Me: “Oh, yeah. I think mine cost 3 thousand, and that was a loooong time ago.”

J: (saying nothing, just looking concerned)

Me: “Don’t worry, hon, we will be fine. And they have payment plans, so it all works out. …And you’re worth it” (shooting him a smile with a reassuring back pat)

J: (more silence)

We continued our shopping in Wal-Mart. I forgot all about it, until the ride home:

J: “Mom?”

Me: “Yeah babe.”

J: “Even though braces cost a lot, is it OK if we don’t get the painful plan for me?”

Me: “huh?” (trying to process)

J: “Yeah you said they have PAINFUL plans, and I don’t think I want that one, even if it’s cheaper…ya know, I’m just sayin'…”

Me: (trying to suppress laughter, shock, and utter adoration for this boy, all in one moment) “Oh, no, honey…NO…I said they have PAYMENT plans, not PAINFUL plans...”

J: “Oh...thank GOD."

That poor child thought he was going to get the painful kind of braces, just to save his parents a few bucks. Needless to say, this is now a solid running joke in our house.


2)“I don’t Know How To Feel About This” Story:
So the orthodontist is looking over Jordan’s teeth. She is telling him to open, close, pulling his lips all around, and verbally giving her notes to her assistant who is typing away.


Ortho: “Yep, he’s ready”

Me: “What about his baby teeth, what happens when the rest fall out?”

Ortho: “He doesn’t have any baby teeth”

W……T…….F.

Me: “What?? I thought for sure he had some” (pretty certain she must just be mistaken)

Jordan: "Nope, they are all gone." (looking pretty happy with himself, like he just made a home run)

Me: “but you just lost one the other day…”

Jordan: “That was Katie, Mom.”

Me: “Oh.”

Questions with no answers…
How could my baby have NO BABY TEETH?
How could I not know this?
How could I have let this momentous occasion slip by, without snapping the appropriate photos, and perhaps sliding a few extra bucks under his pillow?

And where IS that last tooth!? WHAT KIND OF MOTHER AM I!!!


Sigh. He really is growing up. But I do love the person he is becoming.

In honor of his LAST baby tooth lost, and also in the name of self redemption... I dug through my picture files and found his FIRST tooth ever lost...and got to work.

Now THAT, I have documented. :)

6 comments:

Samantha said...

That's hilarious!! What a sweet boy to even sit and think about whether or not he wanted the painful plan. That moment could have been on America's Funniest videos. I would've voted for you!!!!

Krista said...

coffee came out my nose with 'painful plan'....

a. keep shopping at wal-mart so we can afford jack's braces (greg's bonus! haha)

b. what program do you use to digital scrapbook....so cool!!

Kelle said...

Oh, jennygirl...I love how you ended it with the scrapbook page of BABY Jordan and his tooth! Love you!!! Check out Dr. Reed! She won't put you through the "painful" plan...promise!

Rayna said...

I'm still laughing....how sweet is he and when he lost his first tooth: I love that page. And what a cute idea with a letter from the tooth fairy, I'll have to remember that. Miss you!

Carin said...

oh, he is such a precious boy.

I could hear from your description, the little wheels turning in his head!

it goes too fast, jen!

Kelly Hutcheson said...

Reading about this story is almost better than hearing about it!!

Craving new post from JennyGirl...like you told Kelle, go experience some ordinary miracles and blog about it! lol.